If losing weight was easy, carrying excess pounds probably wouldn’t be so common. Two out of three people in the United States are overweight or obese. And while there’s no shame in struggling with your weight, it’s important to know that positive change is possible with proper effort and support.
Our caring team of experts at Arundel Medical Group, Inc. in Glen Burnie, Maryland, offers a variety of treatments to help you reach a healthy weight and maintain it. Continue reading to learn more about weight loss challenges, as well as ways to turn it all around.
Why weight loss is difficult
From genetic factors to societal pressures, many factors can make the weight loss process challenging. As a result, many people give up early or yoyo up and down, going on and off diets, making way for potentially dangerous complications.
Common barriers to weight loss include:
- Falling prey to risky and ineffective fad diets
- Family history of obesity
- Health conditions that make exercise or food preparation difficult
- Lacking a support system
- Long-time habits that are difficult to change
- Limited access to healthy foods or helpful dietary guidance
- Sleeping too little
- Unmanaged depression
- Untreated obstructive sleep apnea
- Untreated thyroid issues
Making weight loss attainable
Once you’re ready to lose weight, our team at Arundel Medical Group, Inc. starts by performing a physical exam and reviewing your medical history. The exam might also include blood tests and check for underlying conditions, such as depression, hypothyroidism, or sleep apnea. From there, a customized weight loss plan is created for your specific needs and preferences. Your program may include:
- Dietary and exercise recommendations
- Certain medications to promote increased metabolism, appetite control, and energy
- Accountability, guidance, and support along the way
- Maintenance instructions, once you reach your ideal range
No two weight-loss plans are exactly the same. Each is as unique as you are.
Benefits of healthy weight loss
Many people aim to lose weight with hopes of improving their physical appearance, but the benefits of healthy weight control go far beyond aesthetics. Reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight can bring a range of impactful benefits into your life, such as:
- Boosted energy levels
- Enhanced self-confidence
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Improved mental health
- Improved menstrual health
- Less physical pain and fatigue
- Improved mental health
- Reduced risk for diabetes, stroke, osteoarthritis, and sleep apnea
- Stronger bone density and a lower risk of fractures
To learn more or get started on your journey to lasting weight control, call Arundel Medical Group, Inc., or request an appointment on our website.